The process of filming and producing my draft video brought about some very unique challenges, (as I’m sure it did for everyone else). I knew that any preparations or ideas I was considering would have to be completed within the guidelines of “social-distancing”. These limitations made for a challenging, but uniquely fun assignment.
With the objective of my course theme being centered around “art” and “non-profit”, it was an easy decision to focus my video around art. There were a few limitations in regards to selecting a story-format. Taking into consideration the social restrictions, I decided on a promotional/ inspirational format style. I wanted to produce something uplifting and optimistic that was focused around art, but that could be watched and enjoyed by anyone.
The basic storyline would open on the studio-art desk in my apartment, there would be shots of the “main character”, from the neck down, sitting at the desk and painting. The narration would start after a few seconds of the establishing shot and begin describing how “art” is a part of everything in our lives. The narration would continue throughout the entire video as a sort-of philosophical and poetic monologue. The video would then progress into a series of clips that represented memories and/or flashbacks. These would be sequenced in between shots of the main character sitting at the desk and making art. The video would change every few seconds in a montage-style that loosely correlates with the narration. At the end, the video would finish back at the original desk and then fade to credits.
I decided on this format for several reasons. I would avoid any copyright issues by using my own footage that I had personally shot, or that had been shot by a friend. I would be able to incorporate a wider range of video than what was available in my apartment. And I would be able to safely utilize multiple “sets” and “characters” without breaking any health-guidelines.
Once I had established a storyboard, and composed an audio-narrative, I collected the existing video footage I wanted to use. Next, I reached out to a few friends to get official copy-write permission for any clips that had not been filmed by me.
My next step was to create the “establishing shot” and main film set for the video. I made sure to use a phone-stand or stable surface to shoot from to reduce any movement in the video. I then shot the same scenes from various angles and used tips from the Week-11 Readings; “Basic Shooting Principles“.
Once I had collected all my raw video footage, I organized it into the project’s folder and imported it into Premier Pro. Using the techniques we learned in the tutorials, I was able to select specific clips to arrange, and customize them with the tools in “Effect-Controls”. For the establishing-shot I added a key frame to adjust the position & scale so the clip would slowly zoom inwards. For the last clip I added a “fade-to-black” so the ending would smoothly blend into the credits. I also chose certain video segments to add a “dissolve-film” effect so the transition would appear smoother.
For the Final Video Story I have a few additional ideas and effects that I would like to incorporate. However, I’m looking forward to the feedback and suggestions from my group members during the review.