While reflecting on which unit I wanted to re-work, I went through each project (as I’m sure most other students did) and considered the pros & cons of each piece. What were the weak points and the strong points? What had I learned since creating each final unit piece, and how could I apply new ideas or insights?
After much consideration I decided to revisit our very first unit from this course.

When I first created this project for our Photoshop unit, it had been inspired by a personal collaboration that I had done with “The HoneyBee Conservancy” in New York. As an artist, and someone who feels passionately about the non-profit sector, I wanted to design an artwork that could serve a greater purpose. (Side note: This is also the inspiration behind my blog’s name; “A Cause to Create.”) A few months prior to beginning grad school, I had designed and created an art print titled, “The Disappearing Honeybee”, to draw attention to the issue. The work was inspired by the devastating decline of the honeybee population in the U.S. The art print was a big hit, and I was able to donate over 50% of the proceeds from the sale of each print to They Honeybee Conservancy to help promote education and awareness surrounding the issue.
It was at this moment that I knew I wanted to merge non-profit and art in all aspects of my life.
Needless to say, that’s where the inspiration for my Photoshop project came from. I created a fictional event called, “Home is Where the Hive it” and designed a flyer to advertise all the aspects of it.

Original Unit 1 Final Project

There were a few reasons why I decided to revisit this project. The piece felt particularly vulnerable to me, and I wanted to dig a little deeper into understanding “why?”
I began by pin-pointing and acknowledging the obvious “flaws.” From what I could see, the headline appeared to be slightly blurry or pixelated. The drop shadow on the text “Sample local honey” was disproportionate to the other text. The date & location didn’t have any effects added to them and seemed “flat”, and the remaining text seemed like it could use a little more color.

Post-reflection Final Project

I started by re-working the headline. I refined the edges of the text selection and applied a smooth effect to get rid of the pixelated appearance. I also wanted the headline to “pop” a little more so used a slightly darker brown and adjusted the layer effects. For the outer-glow I increased the spread and pixel size, and well as free-transformed the text to be slightly taller and wider.
For the date & location text, I applied a drop-shadow and outer-glow so they wouldn’t appear to be as flat. I also had to adjust the text size with the free-transform option so that I could make the text taller without making it also wider.
To add a little variation of color to all the brown text, I used the eye-dropper tool to sample a darker turquoise color from the little girls’ shirt in the photo, and then applied that color to the text under the headline; “An all ages community event to benefit honeybee conservancy.”
I thought this was a nice addition that helped the three little hexagon honeybee tiles to “pop.”
For the turquoise text I had to also add an “inner-shadow” effect to make sure the lighter color was legible next to the brown text color.

Even though they’re small adjustments and subtle changes, I feel that they make a big difference when you look at the final product.
I’ve learned so much from each unit this course. So many of the skills and concepts from the Adobe programs can be utilized in everyday life. I look forward to applying the knowledge I’ve gained in both my person and professional life.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s